Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a 'finger food' recipe that goes very well with cocktails or as a snack. The beautiful flavor of the coconut enhances the dish, while the prawns are fried in a batter containing beer! There is no way you wont like this one!
- The prawns need to be fresh. I had gone down to the local market and picked up some fresh sea food that day.
- To start off, the prawns need to be de-shelled and de-veined. Clean the prawns well.
- Next, marinate them with Lemon juice of half a lemon ,Lemon zest of the same, Red chili powder, Salt, Ginger and Garlic paste and keep this aside for half hour.
- In a mixing bowl, take 1/2 cup Flour, salt,egg, ground peppercorns, baking powder and mix this with a fork. To this pour beer and mix the batter till the consistency is semi-liquid. If the liquid feels runny, add a bit of flour to get the consistency back. Keep this in the fridge for about 1/2 hour too.
- In a flat tray, pour and spread desiccated coconut with a dry hand.
- In my recipe, I have chopped off the tail end of the prawns. But this dish tastes great with the tail as well!
- After marination, dip each prawn into the beer batter, and then gently place over the desiccated coconut. With one dry hand, spread the coconut flakes on the exposed side, and immerse in a Wok with hot oil and deep fry. Wait till the color is golden brown, or as is in the image above. Place in a serving bowl lined with paper towel. Sprinkle some cilantro or coriander leaves over this, and serve with a lemon wedge.