Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious melding of Bread Pudding and Coconut... a must try.
- 8 egg yolks, shopping list
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large croissants, pastries
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, for dusting, if desired
- Whisk together egg yolks, eggs, milk, coconut milk, sugar, coconut extract, vanilla extract and salt.
- Coat a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut croissants in half horizontally. Place bottom halves, cut-side up, in prepared pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, and coconut. Cover with top halves of croissants, cut-side down. Pour egg mixture over top. Top with baking sheet weighted down with cans so croissants get pressed down and submerged in liquid. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350. Remove baking sheet used as weight.
- Cover pudding loosely with foil. Place pudding in a larger pan on oven rack. Pour hot water into larger pan to reach depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove foil: bake an additional 30 minutes or until temperature registers 160F on an instant-read thermometer. Carefully remove dish to wire rack; cool slightly. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.