Recipe by Galley Wench
The perfect dessert for an Asian inspired dinner! Found this recipe on Epicurious.com. Cooking time includes chilling time for the custard.
- 1⁄2 cup plus 6 teaspoons sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup coconut milk (canned unsweetened)
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place six 3/4-cup custard cups or ramekins in large roasting pan.
- Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks and whole egg in large bowl to blend. Combine cream, coconut milk and coconut in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Whisk a small amount into yolk mixture to temper.
- Whisk egg mixture and vanilla into the cream.
- Pour custard into cups, dividing equally.
- Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cups. Bake until custards are just set in center, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from water. Cool; chill overnight.
- Next Day:.
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange custard cups on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar evenly over each.
- Broil until sugar browns, rotating baking sheet for even browning and watching closely, about 2 minutes.
- Chill custards at least 1 hour before serving. (Can be broiled, then chilled up to 6 hours ahead.).