Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
Bon Appetit, January 2000.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place six 3/4-cup custard cups or ramekins in large roasting pan.
- Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks and whole egg in large bowl to blend.
- Combine cream, coconut milk and coconut in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Whisk into yolk mixture. Pour custard into cups, dividing equally.
- Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cups. Bake until custards are just set in center, about 35 minutes. Remove from water. Cool; chill overnight.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange custard cups on baking sheet. Sprinkle 1 t. sugar evenly over each. Broil until sugar browns, rotating baking sheet for even browning and watching closely, about 2 minutes. Chill custards at least 1 hour before serving. (Can be broiled, then chilled up to 6 hours ahead.).