Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Beautiful little tarts in a delicious Macadamia crust. Found on myrecipes.com
Make and share this Coconut Cream Tarts With Macadamia Nut Crusts recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, cut up
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Stir together 1/3 cup flour and 3/4 cup sugar; whisk in eggs.
- Cook milk in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until hot. Gradually whisk about one-fourth of hot milk into egg mixture; add to remaining hot milk, whisking constantly.
- Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Cover and chill 3 hours.
- Bake remaining 1/2 cup coconut in a shallow pan at 350°, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until toasted; set aside.
- Pulse 2 1/2 cups flour and butter in a food processor until crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons water, and pulse 30 seconds or until dough forms a ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead in nuts.
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions; press each portion into a(3- to 4-inch) tart pan. Prick bottoms with a fork, and place on a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Cover and freeze 30 minutes.
- Bake on jellyroll pan at 375° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in tart pans 5 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spoon coconut custard mixture into tart shells.
- Beat whipping cream and 3 tablespoons sugar at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; dollop or pipe onto tarts. Sprinkle with toasted coconut; chill.