Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another low fat treat from Cooking Light.
Make and share this Coconut Cream Pie With Pineapple recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- cooking spray
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) cancrushed pineapple slices in syrup
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, , thawed
- 1⁄4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, , toasted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine 1/4 cup flour and water; stir with a whisk until well-blended.
- Combine 3/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add slurry; mix with a fork until flour mixture is moist.
- Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap, and cover with additional plastic wrap.
- Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap, and fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Remove the top sheet of plastic wrap.
- Fold edges under, and flute.
- Line the dough with a piece of foil, and arrange pie weights or dried beans on foil.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until the edge is lightly browned.
- Remove pie weights and foil; cool crust on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, drain pineapple in a colander, and spoon into the prepared crust.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan, and stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute, stirring with a whisk.
- Gradually add about 1/3 cup hot custard to beaten eggs; stir constantly with a whisk.
- Return egg mixture to pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove mixture from heat; stir in cream of coconut and extracts.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared crust.
- Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap; chill until set (about 2 hours).
- Remove plastic wrap, and spread whipped topping evenly over filling.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
Don't know how long it was, but it seemed like making this recipe took a long, long time [for me, that is, as I was trying to be extremely careful to follow the directions exactly!]! Anyway, let me tell you ~ This is a very, very excellent pie, & when finished making it, I REALLY felt like I'd accomplished something GREAT! It got a lot of RAVES from my guests, too, so I really felt that my efforts were well worth it all! Many thanks for posting this recipe, & I definitely plan to make it again ~ It's really a tropical delight!