Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another low fat treat from Cooking Light.
Make and share this Coconut Cream Pie With Pineapple recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- cooking spray
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) cancrushed pineapple slices in syrup
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, , thawed
- 1⁄4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, , toasted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine 1/4 cup flour and water; stir with a whisk until well-blended.
- Combine 3/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add slurry; mix with a fork until flour mixture is moist.
- Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap, and cover with additional plastic wrap.
- Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap, and fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Remove the top sheet of plastic wrap.
- Fold edges under, and flute.
- Line the dough with a piece of foil, and arrange pie weights or dried beans on foil.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until the edge is lightly browned.
- Remove pie weights and foil; cool crust on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, drain pineapple in a colander, and spoon into the prepared crust.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan, and stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute, stirring with a whisk.
- Gradually add about 1/3 cup hot custard to beaten eggs; stir constantly with a whisk.
- Return egg mixture to pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove mixture from heat; stir in cream of coconut and extracts.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared crust.
- Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap; chill until set (about 2 hours).
- Remove plastic wrap, and spread whipped topping evenly over filling.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
Don't know how long it was, but it seemed like making this recipe took a long, long time [for me, that is, as I was trying to be extremely careful to follow the directions exactly!]! Anyway, let me tell you ~ This is a very, very excellent pie, & when finished making it, I REALLY felt like I'd accomplished something GREAT! It got a lot of RAVES from my guests, too, so I really felt that my efforts were well worth it all! Many thanks for posting this recipe, & I definitely plan to make it again ~ It's really a tropical delight!