Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is very good pie. This recipe has been in the family since I can remember.
- 3 egg yolks (Separated save whites for meringue)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup angel flake coconut
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Bake your pie shell according to the directions on the package.
- MAKING THE COCONUT CREAM.
- In a sauce pan beat egg yolks. add 1/2 cup evaporated milk mix well.
- add in the flour and mix then add the rest of the milk, water, sugar, Vanilla, coconut and butter stir together.
- Stirring constantly cook over medium heat until thick and creamy.
- pour into your baked pie shell,.
- MAKING THE MERINGUE TOPPING.
- *Egg whites need to be warm to room temp*.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl, Add salt and vanilla extract. Beat on high until they just start to get thick.
- then begin adding the sugar in small quantities (Beating well between additions).
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form (You can test this by lifting up your beaters, peaks should be stiff and not curl over).
- spread over pie making sure it touches the crust all around other wise it will shrink, using a spoon touch spoon to meringue and and lift up to form nice peaks.
- place in oven at 350 for for 10-15 minutes for peaks to lightly brown.
- .(DO NOT OVER BAKE).
- chill and serve.