Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
In 'Sweet Auburn Desserts' by Sonya Jones
- 1 (9 inch) prebaked pie crusts
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup coconut flakes
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt and gradually add in the milk.
- Mix until the cornstarch dissolves completely and cook until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring continuously.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks slightly and gradually 1 cup of hot milk into the yolks.
- Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Decrease heat to low and cook 2 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and butter, then add the coconut.
- Pour the hot filling mixture into the baked, cooled pie crust and allow the filling to cool.
- Cover the pie and chill until the filling has set.
- Whipped cream--beat the whipping cream until it becomes foamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the chilled pie.
- Toast the 1/4 cup coconut--preheat oven to 350°; spread coconut flakes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the coconut turns golden.
- Garnish the top with toasted coconut before serving.