1 hr 30 mins
In 'Sweet Auburn Desserts' by Sonya Jones
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) prebaked pie crusts
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup coconut flakes
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- 1In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt and gradually add in the milk.
- 2Mix until the cornstarch dissolves completely and cook until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring continuously.
- 3In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks slightly and gradually 1 cup of hot milk into the yolks.
- 4Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- 5Decrease heat to low and cook 2 minutes more.
- 6Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and butter, then add the coconut.
- 7Pour the hot filling mixture into the baked, cooled pie crust and allow the filling to cool.
- 8Cover the pie and chill until the filling has set.
- 9Whipped cream--beat the whipping cream until it becomes foamy.
- 10Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- 11Spread the whipped cream over the chilled pie.
- 12Toast the 1/4 cup coconut--preheat oven to 350°; spread coconut flakes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the coconut turns golden.
- 13Garnish the top with toasted coconut before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Cream Pie II
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.0
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 144.2 mg
- Sodium 313.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 37.3 g
- Protein 6.6 g