1/1 Photo of Coconut Cream Pie from Cooks Illustrated
4 hrs 30 mins
I'll make this for my 84 year old dad who is a cream pie fan. The crust sounds delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 170.09 g animal crackers
- 29.58 ml unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 396.89 g can coconut milk
- 236.59 ml whole milk
- 118.29 ml unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 118.29 ml sugar, plus
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 1.87 ml salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, cut into 2 pieces
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml cold heavy cream
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 14.79 ml unsweetened dried shredded coconut, toasted in small dry skillet until golden brown
- 2Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. In food processor, pulse animal crackers, coconut, and 2 tablespoons of sugar to fine crumbs, eighteen to twenty 1 second pulses; then process until powdery, about 5 seconds. Transfer crumbs to medium bowl and add butter; stir to combine until crumbs are evenly moistened.
- 3Empty crumbs into 9" glass pie plate; using bottom of ramekin or 1/2 cup dry measuring cup, press crumbs evenly into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Bake until fragrant and medium brown, about 15 minutes, rotating pie shell halfway through baking time. Set on wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- 4Bring coconut milk, whole milk, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt to simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to ensure sugar dissolves.
- 5Whisk yolks, cornstarch and 1 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisking constantly, gradually ladle about 1 cup hot milk mixture over egg yolk mixture; whisk well to combine. Whisking constantly, gradually add remaining milk mixture to yolk mixture in 3-4 additions; whisk well to combine.
- 6Return mixture to saucepan and cook until thickened and mixture reaches boil, whisking constantly, about 1 minute; filling must boil in order to fully thicken. (Large bubbles should quickly burst on surface when you stop whisking.).
- 7Off heat, whisk in butter and 1 teaspoons of vanilla until butter in fully incorporated. Pour hot filling into cooled pie shell and smooth surface with rubber spatula; press plastic wrap directly against surface of filling and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
- 8Just before serving, beat cream 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla with electric mixer until soft peaks form, 1 1/2-2 minutes. Top pie with whipped cream and then sprinkle with coconut. Cut pie into wedges and serve.
- 10Banana-Caramel Coconut Cream Pie:.
- 11Follow above recipe through crust making. While crust cools, bring 1/2 cup sugar and 3 tbsp water to boil over high heat in small heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook until dark amber, 5-8 minutes, occasionally swirling pan once sugar begins to color.
- 12Off heat, add 3 tablespoons heavy cream (caramel will bubble vigorously) and a pinch of salt; whisk to combine. Whisk in 2 tbsp unsalted butter. Pour caramel into pie shell, tilting pie plate to coat evenly; set aside to cool.
- 13When caramel is cool, peel 2 slightly underripe, medium bananas (5-6 oz. each); slice each crosswise into 3/8" rounds. Arrange slices in single layer on top of caramel; set aside.
- 14Continue with remainder of original recipe, adding 2 teaspoons of dark rum to filling along with butter and vanilla.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Cream Pie from Cooks Illustrated
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.8
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 29.5 g
- Cholesterol 202.3 mg
- Sodium 269.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 50.6 g
- Protein 6.1 g