Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Make and share this Coconut Cream Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Blend sugar, flour and salt with the cold milk.
- Add scalded milk, gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook on a low heat until thick.
- Add beaten egg yolks.
- Cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and coconut.
- Cool then pour into previously baked pie shell.
- Cover with meringue (recipe follows).
- Makes one 9" pie.
- To Make Meringue: use 3 egg whites to cover a 9" pie shell.
- Use 2 level tablespoons granulated sugar for each egg.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. (They should be glossy on top and when you invert the bowl, they should remain in place.).
- Fold in the sugar,gradually.
- Cover the pie with meringue.
This pie is "delish"! I made it for the family as one of my pies for Thanksgiving and it was THE favorite! The only change I made was to bake it for 5 minutes @ 350 after putting the meringue on the custard to brown the meringue slightly! Will definitely make it again SOON!
This is the best coconut pie filling ever. I made it for a friend's housewarming, and it disappeared in a few minutes, with everyone asking, "Hey, where'd the pie go?" I used Kittencal's butter pie crust (#66929), which was flaky and delicious, and an excellent complement to the rich, creamy filling. If you're cooking on an electric stove, though, I'd forget about trying to cook this over low heat. After 25 minutes, it was still runny. I cranked the heat up to medium and cooked it until it started to bubble. I used whipped cream instead of meringue -- next time I'll try the meringue.
This pie was so tasty! Creamy and decadent. I used whipped cream and toasted coconut to top it off instead of a meringue. I have made this many times now. Great pie & really easy to make!