Recipe by sugarpea
This pie is homemade AND quick and easy. The filling also makes a good puddding. Cook time is cooling time. Prep time does not include pie crust.
Top Review by LWG
I didn't think I liked coconut cream pie, but I made it for a good friend who requested it for his birthday. One taste of the filling and I was hooked! It took great restraint to put the rest into the pie. I've made this several times, and every time is great. I do use real whipped cream for the topping though, and I toasted ALL the coconut.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 9 inch pie crust, baked
- 2 cups fat-free whipped topping
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, flour or cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk; over medium heat, cook, stirring until bubbling; cook 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Temper eggs by slowly adding a moderate amount of cooked mixture to them while stirring; pour back into saucepan.
- Cook another 2 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from heat; stir in butter, vanilla and 1 cup coconut.
- Pour into cooled pie shell and cool; top with whipped topping.
- Place 1/3 cup coconut on baking sheet and bake at 350° until lightly toasted, 5-8 minutes; sprinkle on whipped topping.