Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very old recipe that has been handed down. Enjoy!
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Stir together sugar, salt, cornstarch and flour.
- Add milk, mix well and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil for one minute, then pour some hot mix into egg yolks to temper, then add back to pudding mixture.
- Boil one minute more, then add butter, vanilla and coconut.
- Cool slightly, then pour into baked pie crust.
- Refrigerate several hours and serve with sweetened whipped cream and top with toasted coconut.
100 *'s for you! I made this for Sunday meal that we shared with friends. It was quickly devoured and inhaled, not a crumb left! hehehe-Thanks for making me look like a STAR! PS. Wish my meringue would look as gorgeous as this picture my fault NOT the recipe! I am just meringue challenged! Thanks for a fabulous recipe!
I couldn't tell you the last time I made a Coconut Cream Pie. Made this as per the recipe except added about 1 1/2 cups coconut. I used Flaky Pie Crust Flaky Pie Crust for the crust and my Mile High Meringue Mile High Meringue instead of the whipped cream. Adding the meringue is a hold over from childhood. This was definately a hit with my family.
A wonderful pie with a very creamy texture. We enjoyed this very much at Thanksgiving. I added an extra 1/4 cup of coconut to use up what I had on hand. The toasted coconut added a nice touch of color to the pie. Thanks for a great recipe.