Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Rich and "dreamy" coconut cream pie, better than any other I have ever tried. Want to make it even richer, try chocolate pudding. Killer!
- 1 pie shell (10 inch is perfect or 2 smaller 8 inch will do)
- 2 1⁄4 cups coconut (toast 1 1/4 cup)
- 2 (6 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 2 (1 1/3 ounce) envelopes Dream Whip
- 2 pints half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Prepare and bake pie shell.
- Toast 1 1/4 cup coconut in the oven until lightly browned.
- Whip together pudding, dream whip and half and half together in a large mixing bowl, mixture will be quite thick.
- Stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut and 1/2 cup toasted coconut.
- Pour into prepared and cooled pie shell.
- Stir 1/2 cup toasted coconut into cool whip and frost pie.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate until serving.
This was great! Sugar free instant pudding works perfectly.
I modified it slightly to produce a more sweet, coconut flavor. I used 3 envelopes of dream whip and instead of 2 packages of vanilla pudding, I used 1 pakg vanilla and 1 package coconut cream instant vanilla. I used a 16 oz. container of Extra Creamy Cool Whip for the top of the pie. I also used a 9.5 inch pie pan and a refrigerated pie crust that you roll out and bake in your own pie pan instead of a frozen shell. This makes it look more homemade. It turned out really rich and thick with the modifications I used.
Absolutely wonderful pie. Made this for Easter and it was a great hit. Thought it was better the next day. I'll make it the day before I plan to use it next time. Thank you.