Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is an adaptation of Debbie Field's recipe in "Debbie Field's Great American Desserts". I love pies and this is one of my favorites. To toast coconut and nuts, spread in an even layer on baking sheets and put in top rack of oven preheated to 325 degrees F. Watch closely and stir every 5 minutes or so until nicely browned.
Top Review by MizzNezz
This is just superb! It's absolutly the freshest, most homemade tasting pie ever! The directions are easy to follow. This is as good as any restaurant serves! Thanks Sharlene, this is one that will get regular use!
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crust, baked per package instructions and cooled
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 cup heavy cream, very cold
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Custard: In heavy saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, an salt.
- Slowly stir in the half-and-half until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat to maintain simmer and cook, stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl and slowly whisk 1 cup of hot cream into them.
- Pour mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and just begins to"steam", 4 to 5 minutes.
- Do not let boil.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface and cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, gently fold in the coconut.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Make the whipped cream: Put cream, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat until thickened using an electric mixer on high.
- Assemble pie: Pour the cooled custard into the prebaked crust.
- Mound the whipped cream over the filling and sprinkle with the coconut and nuts.
- Chill for 2 hours before serving.