Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This comes together really quickly, once the crust is made, or to be even quicker, use a premade store bought crust.
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut in pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- For the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and shortening and cut in with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- With a fork, stir in just enough ice water to bind dough (2-3 tbls.). Gather into a ball, wrap in wax paper and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven 425°F Roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan. Trim and flute the edges. Prick the bottom. Line with wax paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10-12 minutes. remove the paper and beans, reduce heat to 350F and bake until brown, about 10 more minutes.
- Spread 1 cup of the coconut on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden, 6-8 minutes, stirring often. Set aside for decorating.
- Put the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. In a bowl, whisk together the milk, cream and egg yolks. Add the egg mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comed to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat. Add butter, vanilla extract and remaining coconut.
- Pour into baked pastry shell. When the filling is cool, sprinkle toated coconut in a ring in center.