Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very Good Pie!
- 1 9 inch pie shell
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3 -6 tablespoons sugar
- Mix corntarch, sugar, & salt in double boiler top .
- Slowly pour in milk, cook over boiling water .
- Stir constantly until thick enough to mold slightly when dropped from spoon .
- Cover cook 10 minutes longer.
- Stir a little Hot mixture into egg yolks beaten, then stir all into hot mixture .
- Cook 2 mins .
- remove from water, stir in vanilla & 3/4 cup coconut .
- beat egg whites with remaining sugar .
- Pour hot mixture into pie crust.
- top with egg whites .
- top with 1/4 cup coconut .
- Bake at 425 for 5 mins to brown top .
Great tasting pie, first time I've ever made a cream pie. I found the filling a little runny, but still tasted delicious. Thanks for posting.
I have made this pie for our local bingo and have never had any trouble with it being running. Don't skimp on the cornstarch and you won't have any problem with this pie. People buy slices to take home they love it so much! Thanks for a great recipe.
I love this pie! I received a review that said it was runny. I never found it to be runny. But it is not like a pie you will eat in a restaurant. It will not be stiff and molded. Eat It Up Quick!