Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 min
My opinion--this one sets the standard. From Southern Living. Allow time to chill.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually whisk in the half and half and egg yolks.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, whisking continually; boil for 1 minute.
- Remove mixture from stove burner.
- Stir in butter, flaked coconut and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let cool to room temperature.
- Spoon the custard mixture into the baked pie shell; chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until set.
- Add whipping cream to a mixing bowl; using an electric mixer, beat at high speed until mixture is foamy; gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and remaining vanilla, beating until soft peaks form.
- Spread or pipe whipped cream over pie.
I agree that this is what a coconut cream pie is supposed to be, or at least in my opinion. Thanks for sharing a great pie recipe!
I've been looking for a good coconut cream pie recipe. The taste of this was good, but it set up a little too firmly for me.