Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Anyone who likes coconut will love this. My recipes for this, Chocolate Cream Pie, and Old Fashioned Caramel Pie are all made basically the same way, very easy. Please try them. They're really great!
- 2 regular 9-inch pie shells, baked
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 6 extra large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Leave oven on from baking pie shells. Whisk together the 2 cups sugar and cornstarch in a large (at least 2 qt.) microwaveable bowl until there are no more lumps from the cornstarch. Pour the milk into the sugar mixture and whisk together until smooth. Place the stick of butter on top of the mixture.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Whisk thoroughly. Microwave for 3 more minutes & whisk. Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl. Pour about 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks & whisk. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the remaining hot milk mixture & whisk. Continue microwaving & whisking at 1 minute increments until the mixture is thick like a pudding. Whisk in the vanilla. Stir in all but about 1/4 cup of the coconut. Divide filling between the 2 pie shells.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar (if using) until foamy and slightly holding shape. Turn beaters on low speed. Add 3/4 cup sugar. After sugar is mixed in, turn beaters on high again. Beat until meringue is hard to shake off a spoon (or until it stays on beater when you turn off mixer and pull beaters out of bowl). Spread meringue on filling all the way to the edges. Sprinkle reserved coconut on top of the meringue.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until brown. Watch closely. Turn off oven, open oven door slightly and let pies cool for 1 hour. Let pies cool completely on counter.
- Spray plastic wrap with Pam, cover pies and refrigerate.