Recipe by Lainey39
This makes a creamy pie, topped with golden meringue and toasted coconut. The pie requires 1 hour cooling time plus 1-2 hours for chilling time.
Top Review by icynorth
Very good! I made a cookie crust for mine with coconut macaroon cookies. I think pecan shortbread cookies would be great too. My filling took a little longer to set, so to allow enough time for this.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten (save whites for meringue)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pastry shells, 9 inches, baked
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in chopped coconut, butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- For meringue, in a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar, beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar, 1 T at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Pour hot filling into crust.
- Spread with meringue, sealing edges to crust.
- Sprinkle with flaked coconut.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.