Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
Coconut cream eggs are one of my favorite Easter treats. The other two are Cadbury Cream eggs and marshmallow Peeps. I was thrilled to death to find this rich and creamy recipe for coconut eggs so I could make them year-round. The coconut centers can also be dyed to match the holiday.
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 1⁄4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- additional confectioners' sugar
- chocolate-flavored candy coating
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, stir together butter, corn syrup, vanilla extract and salt.
- Gradually add confectioners' sugar and coconut, beating until blended.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon additional confectioners' sugar on flat surface.
- Spoon coconut mixture onto prepared surface; knead about 5 minutes.
- Using 1 1/2 teaspoons mixture for each candy, shape into egg shape and place on wax paper-covered tray.
- Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours before dipping into chocolate coating.
- Place coated eggs on wax paper-covered tray.
- Store in cool, dry place.