Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
One of Southern Living's all-time favorite desserts.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen coconut, thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- Cream the butter, shortening, and cream cheese together in a bowl.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In another bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Stir in coconut and remaining ingredients.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake in a 325° oven for 1 1/2 hours or until a picks tests clean.
- Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn out of pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
Good, easy to make, lovely texture. Does serve a lot so may make it again for a gathering. I love coconut and was disappointed that my favorite ingredient was not more pronounced.
I have used this recipe for many years. My family and friends think that there is nothing better in Georgia Cooking!
The best pound cake I've ever had, and i've made plenty. I made this a month ago but forgot to write a rating until a friend called and said how much her family had loved this one. Sounds like a lot of sugar but this makes a big cake, and not too sweet.