Recipe by hannahactually
This frosting is AMAZING atop my Jumbo Coconut Cupcakes! I have also used it on other cakes, including Carrot Cake, and it's superb! Makes enough frosting for 8 jumbo cupcakes or one small cake.
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened (one and one-half 8-ounce packages)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 1⁄2 cups unsifted confectioners' sugar (hs note ( I used more)
- 3⁄4 cup lightly packed sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (to top the frosted cupcakes or cake)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl on moderate speed for 1 minute, or until creamy and well combined.
- Blend in the vanilla extract, heavy cream, and nutmeg.
- On low speed, add the confectioners' sugar in three addition, beating until thoroughly combined before adding the next batch.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl frequently with a rubber spatula to keep the frosting even textured.
- if you are preparing the frosting in advance, press a sheet of food-safe plastic wrap over the surface of the frosting and set aside.
- Use the frosting within 30 minutes of mixing.
- All baked goods topped with cream cheese frosting should be kept refrigerated after the frosting has set.
- Using a flexible palette knife, spread the frosting as thickly as possible on top of the cooled cupcakes/cakes, making a thick 2-inch cap on top.
- Sprinkle the frosted surfaces of the cupcakes/cakes with the coconut.
- Refrigerate any cupcakes/cakes not served within 2 hours.