Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
this is from Martha Stewart's magazine..they are awesome..more like a dessert baking time includes chilling time
- 2 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 16 ounces shortbread cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- preheat oven to 350*.spread coconut in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet -- bake, stirring, once or twice.until golden.
- about 8-10 minutes.let cool completely.
- process cookies and 1/2 cup coconut in a food processor till finely ground -- and mixture clumps together.about 2 minutes.
- transfer mixture to a 9x13" pan -- press even layer on bottom.bake 12-15 minutes.let cool on wire rack.
- whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt in large pan -- whisk in milk and egg yolks.cook over medium heat whisking constantly till it comes to a boil.about 5-6 minutes.continue to cook, whisking about 3 minutes or thick.
- remove from heat and add butter.whisk till combined and thoroughly melted.
- stir in 1 1/2 cups coconut.spoon custard onto cooled crust --
- smooth.top with plastic wrap directly on custard surface.
- refrigerate 3 hours or till firm --
- beat cream and powdered sugar in large bowl -- till stiff peaks from.cut custard into 24 bars.
- cover bars with zig zag pattern with star tip.
- sprinkle with coconut.
This is my husband's requested dessert every year for his birthday! Fantastic recipe!
Absolutely...absolutely fabulous. I'm generally extremely fussy about making desserts for my company or clients but this has got to be one of the best.