Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Taste of Home
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shells, baked (9 inches)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the coconut, butter and vanilla. Pour into prepared shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Wow - what a difference between home-made coconut pudding vs. pudding from that little box! Which is basically what the creamy, coconutty filling is! DH and I both loved it! made for ZWT9 Soup-a-Stars
When making this pie I was generous with the coconut in the filling (used a nicely rounded half cup!) but otherwise followed the recipe (using unsweetened coconut) & the pie was DELICIOUS, absolutely! A great keeper of a recipe, too! Thanks for posting it! [Made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hits recipe tag]
Great pie! I also used unsweetened coconut, so had no problem with it being too sweet. Coconut Cream Pie has always been a favorite of mine, but hadn't made one with meringue for years (usually just use whipped topping), but will be making it this way more often. I made this for the Gluten-free challenge in ZWT 7, so used a gluten-free ready-made pie crust.