Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Addictive; was rated grand prize winner in cookie recipe contest--originally submitted by Nancy Jamison
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened dried coconut
- With a mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar, orange peel and vanilla until smooth.
- In another bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add butter mixture and beat on low speed for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries and coconut.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on buttered baking sheets.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes.
For some reason I have gone crazy this Christmas and decided to make an enormous amount of different kinds of cookies. I chose these because they looked like they would be different from any I had made so far. They are TRULY addictive...I am almost burned out on cookies but these made me crave more! I recommend them hightly. Easy and delish. You won't be dissapointed.Thanks Nancy...these have already become a tradition.
Love this recipe. It is a fairly plain looking cookie--my husband was making fun of them last night. Then he tasted them! That shut him up! I melted some semisweet chocolate chips, stuck them in a snack size ziplock bag, nipped the corner and put a little color on these. I am planning on making them again, and I may sqash them flat with the bottom of a glass before baking, and then dunk them in chocolate half way...I think that would be very pretty, too. Tip: when melting chocolate chips in the microwave--you must stir frequently. The chips don't "melt" until you stir them. It doesn't take long, less than a minute depending on how many you're melting and the power of your microwave, of course.
Wow! This is my new holiday cookie (ANY holiday!). :) Nice flavor combination and rich. I used UNsweetened fine shredded coconut and also added about 1/2 tsp each of coconut and orange extract. I didn't have the fresh orange rind so I used dry. These were plenty sweet. Baked for 10 minutes. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.