Recipe by Serah B.
I had this at a MD Veg Social potluck recently and it was so awesome, I had to get the recipe. Here it is!
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
We enjoyed this filling, warming soup for lunch today. It came together quickly and was nice on a cold, Michigan day. The soup was light and I thought it had just the right amount of heat from the cayenne. I used fat free milk (vs soy) as that is what I had on hand. Also, we just used the immersion blender right in the Dutch oven, with about a cup of soup removed and then added back in. This worked well for the consistency. I had to add quite a bit of salt to taste. Made for Sun and Spice 2013
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 inch gingerroot
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups unsweetened soymilk
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup water
- 4 -5 cups corn
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or 1 teaspoon paprika, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & well-rinsed
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion and fry in oil (medium low-ish heat) for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic & ginger, fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, soy milk, broth and corn. Simmer until warm.
- Scoop out about 3/4 of the corn and puree it in a blender or food processor. Put it back in the pot, add seasonings and black beans.
- Simmer until hot!