Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Coconut is an unusual addition to traditional brownies. More adult. Go great with a big mug of coffee.
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 ounces chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and stir in eggs and butter.
- Transfer 2/3s of batter to another bowl, add the chocolate to it, combining the batter well, and turn the chocolate batter into prepared pan.
- Stir the coconut and extract into remaining batter.
- Spoon coconut batter over chocolate batter and spread decoratively.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until coconut topping is light golden.
- Let cool in pan on rack and cut into 2 inch squares.
wonderful brownies - i just love the addition of coconut. next time, i might use 2/3 of the batter for coconut - yes i'm really crazy about coconuts. i use bittersweet chocolate and less sugar. thanks evelyn for another winner!
Chewy, moist, chocolatey with a hint of coconut and very, very delicious! I am a chocolate and coconut fiend so when I saw the ingredients in this brownie, I knew I would have to make it! It is wonderful just as is and I would not dare change anything about this recipe. Thanks, Evelyn!