Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from Food Network, Guy's Big Bite, Guy Fieri.
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups jasmine rice (uncooked)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- 1⁄3 cup roughly chopped cashews
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- In a large stock pot, over medium-high heat, add the coconut and lightly toast. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the oil and the rice and saute until the rice is just starting to brown, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and the coconut milk and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro, cashews and peas. Season with salt and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with the toasted coconut and serve.
Wow, was this wonderful. Sweet, salty, spicy and tender. I loved all the flavors, separately and combined. This was quick and easy to make with terrific results. Kudos on making it into my Best of Cookbook for 2015. Thank you so much for sharing. Made for What's on the Menu? Tag Game.
Although this time around I did pretty much follow the recipe (& loved every bit of it!) I'd try it with some homemade vegetable stock 'cause I know my vegetarian son & DIL would really enjoy it! I often add peas to the rice sides I prepare, but nothing as elaborate AND tasty as this one! Definitely a winner & a keeper! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
A simple and delicious rice, easily prepared, lots of interest in the contrasting tastes and textures of nuts, peas and the underlying coconut sweetness. I omitted the actual coconut garnish, but love the flavour of coconut milk, we loved the addition of cilantro. Oh, and I used vegetable stock. A good complement to curry dishes, and I would enjoy this by itself! Thank you swissms, lovely!