Chef #784013's Note:
From Mahanandi blog. Note: I add less urad dal and use frozen coconut instead of fresh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup of frozen shredded coconut, thawed
- 1/4 cup of dry channa dal
- 6 small green chilies, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, sliced into chunks (or piece of red onion)
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon tamarind extract
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Urad Dal (optional)
- 1 -2 fresh curry leaf (optional)
- 1 -2 dried red chili (optional)
- 2 tablespoons yogurt (optional)
- 1/4 lime (optional)
- 1Roast the chana dal in a pan until golden brown.
- 2Add coconut, chana dal, green chillies, shallot, cilantro, ginger, tamarind and salt into a blender, chopper, food processor, or mortar and pestle.
- 3Add half cup water and add the rest of the water slowly as you blend until you get a paste/chutney like consistency.
- 4Transfer mixture to a serving bowl or cup.
- 5In a small pan, add half teaspoon of oil and heat it.
- 6Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and dried red chillies (in that order) and sauté them until they start to splutter and turn golden brown.
- 7Remove the pan from heat and add the fried spices to the pureed coconut mixture in the cup.
- 8Stir in the yogurt.
- 9Just before serving, squeeze few drops of lime juice to taste.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.8
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 218.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: