Recipe by pkothari
From Mahanandi blog. Note: I add less urad dal and use frozen coconut instead of fresh.
- 1 cup of frozen shredded coconut, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup of dry channa dal
- 6 small green chilies, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, sliced into chunks (or piece of red onion)
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 inch ginger
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tamarind extract
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Urad Dal (optional)
- 1 -2 fresh curry leaf (optional)
- 1 -2 dried red chili (optional)
- 2 tablespoons yogurt (optional)
- 1⁄4 lime (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the chana dal in a pan until golden brown.
- Add coconut, chana dal, green chillies, shallot, cilantro, ginger, tamarind and salt into a blender, chopper, food processor, or mortar and pestle.
- Add half cup water and add the rest of the water slowly as you blend until you get a paste/chutney like consistency.
- Transfer mixture to a serving bowl or cup.
- In a small pan, add half teaspoon of oil and heat it.
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and dried red chillies (in that order) and sauté them until they start to splutter and turn golden brown.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the fried spices to the pureed coconut mixture in the cup.
- Stir in the yogurt.
- Just before serving, squeeze few drops of lime juice to taste.