Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are very cute little Christmas trees. You can make the trees any color you want buy adding a couple of drops of food coloring to the coconut, or leave them white and use colored sugar. Cook time is chill time, prep time is estimate, it depends on how long it takes you to decorate. You also can use cinnamon candies instead of the colored mini M&M's. Merry Christmas!
- 3 cups flaked coconut (do not use frozen, it is too moist)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened to room temp.
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (for even tastier trees use lemon or orange extract)
- 4 ounces chocolate-flavored candy coating
- green sugar (optional if you didn't tint the coconut)
- miniature M&M baking bits or red cinnamon candies
- In large Bowl combine coconut, sugar, butter, light cream, and extract.
- (If useing food coloring add it too).
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper; chill for about an hour.
- Using your fingers, shape into trees with trunks.
- In a microwave bowl, melt chocolate coating.
- Dip trunks of trees in chocolate and set on wax paper to harden.
- Decorate trees with green sugar and mini M&M's.
- I would keep the trees chilled until ready to serve or take to party.
These are sinful little trees with lots of sweetness in 'em. I substituted the almond extract with banana essence and I used 2 food colours- green and yellow to get a two toned food colour effect. It was a gorgeous shade of light green with a tinge of specs of yellow glistening from the trees. Made them as a food gift for two brides-to-be and they loved it. I like them without the chocolate too. Thanks for sharing.