Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 78.07 ml shortening
- 59.16-73.94 ml cold water
- 3 eggs
- 236.59 ml light corn syrup
- 158.51 ml brown sugar, packed
- 78.07 ml butter, melted
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml semisweet chocolate piece
- 236.59 ml flaked coconut
- 236.59 ml pecans or 236.59 ml walnut pieces
- whipped cream (optional)
- toasted flaked coconut (optional)
- Prepare Pastry for Single-Crust Pie - In a bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water at a time over the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until all of the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge. (Do not prick.) Set aside.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, combine eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt.
- In pastry shell, layer semisweet chocolate pieces, 1 cup coconut and pecan pieces. Pour egg mixture over all, spreading evenly. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pastry shell with foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or till set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and store in refrigerator within 2 hours. If you like, serve with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.