Recipe by Happy Hippie
These are scrumptious bar cookies. I send them to family out of state occasionally because they travel very well.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and sugar well.
- Add eggs and beat thoroughly.
- Add vanilla and blend.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Add to creamed ingredients.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in nuts, chocolate chips and coconut.
- Spread into greased 10-1/2" x 15-1/2" pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes.
- Cut into 1 x 3-1/2" bars when almost cool.
- Yield: 3-1/2 dozen bars.