A twist on the classic banana bread, replacing the traditional walnuts with coconut flakes and chocolate chips. I combined and tweaked several traditional recipes to come up with this one. Some suggested additions or substitutions: white, dark, or milk chocolate chips instead of the semi sweet and/or adding chopped macadamia nuts. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium or 4 large VERY ripe bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Mix flour, coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Add sugar, butter/margarine, banana, applesauce and vanilla and beat well.
- Add dry ingredient mixture all at once and stir until just combined.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips. Pour batter in the greased pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let stand to cool slightly (about 10 minutes), and then remove from pan.