Recipe by Chef PotPie
Do you like chocolate and coconut? Do you like Mounds bars? This is better! My daughter makes this for me. It is a "died and gone to heaven" confection! Easy, too! (She couldn't find unsweetened dried coconut in our town, so she just used all sweetened flaked coconut)
Top Review by breezermom
These are delicious, but very, very sticky. They didn't cut cleanly, even after chilling for an hour. I tried my best to get a clean cut on them, but no matter what I did, the chocolate cracked and I just couldn't get a nice, clean picture. So sorry! I also used all sweetened coconut....maybe that was the problem.
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened dried coconut
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 1⁄2-4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (preferably 70% cacao)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line bottom and 2 opposite sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with a sheet of wax paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both sides.
- Mix together flaked and dried coconut and condensed milk with your fingertips until combined well, then firmly press into pan in an even layer with offset spatula. Chill, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water or in top of a double boiler, stirring until smooth. Spread chocolate evenly over coconut layer with offset spatula and chill until firm, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Lift confection onto a cutting board using overhang and halve confection with a sharp knife. Sandwich halves together, coconut sides in, to form an 8- by 4-inch rectangle, then discard wax paper. Cut rectangle into 32 (1-inch) squares. Arrange paper cups (if using) on a platter and fill with candies. Chill, covered, until ready to serve.