Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Do you like chocolate and coconut? Do you like Mounds bars? This is better! My daughter makes this for me. It is a "died and gone to heaven" confection! Easy, too! (She couldn't find unsweetened dried coconut in our town, so she just used all sweetened flaked coconut)
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened dried coconut
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 1⁄2-4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (preferably 70% cacao)
- Line bottom and 2 opposite sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with a sheet of wax paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both sides.
- Mix together flaked and dried coconut and condensed milk with your fingertips until combined well, then firmly press into pan in an even layer with offset spatula. Chill, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water or in top of a double boiler, stirring until smooth. Spread chocolate evenly over coconut layer with offset spatula and chill until firm, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Lift confection onto a cutting board using overhang and halve confection with a sharp knife. Sandwich halves together, coconut sides in, to form an 8- by 4-inch rectangle, then discard wax paper. Cut rectangle into 32 (1-inch) squares. Arrange paper cups (if using) on a platter and fill with candies. Chill, covered, until ready to serve.
These are delicious, but very, very sticky. They didn't cut cleanly, even after chilling for an hour. I tried my best to get a clean cut on them, but no matter what I did, the chocolate cracked and I just couldn't get a nice, clean picture. So sorry! I also used all sweetened coconut....maybe that was the problem.