Recipe by Lainey6605
A wonderful cake to impress any dinner guests. Plan ahead: You can bake and frost cake up to 2 days before serving. Store, covered, at room temperature. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 18 drops liquid yellow food coloring
- 3⁄4 cup cream cheese frosting (from a 12 ounce tub)
- 3⁄4 cup marshmallow creme (Fluff)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees; you'll need a 10-inch tube pan with removable core and bottom (not nonstick).
- For cake, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with mixer on medium until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Gradually beat in sugar until incorporated.
- Continue to beat on high until stiff, shiny peaks form.
- In second large bowl (no need to wash beaters), beat remaining cake ingredients on medium speed until blended.
- Continue to beat on high until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg whites to top of batter and fold in with rubber spatula until combined.
- Scrape batter into ungreased pan; smooth top and tap pan on counter a few times to settle batter.
- Bake 1 hour or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Invert pan onto its core on countertop and cook cake completely.
- Loosen cake around sides of pan and core with long thin-bladed knife; lift cake from pan sides by the tube.
- Cut away cake from pan bottom and invert onto rack, then immediately reinvert cake right side up on a serving plate.
- Frosting: Fold cream cheese and marshmallow creme together in a medium bowl until blended.
- Spread evenly over cake.
- Cover frosting with coconut, gently pressing to adhere.