Recipe by MustangMom
This is an old recipe from my mother's collection. If you love coconut, you'll love this cake! It's delicious! I just entered it (Aug. '07) in our county fair, and I got a 2nd place ribbon!
- 1 cup egg white (6 - 7 large)
- 2 cups sifted cake flour (sift before measuring)
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Let egg whites warm to room temperature in large mixing bowl.
- Sift and measure flour; mix with sugar, baking powder and salt into another large bowl. Make well in center.
- Add, in order, oil, egg yolks, water, and the coconut and vanilla extracts; beat with a spoon or on low speed of mixer until smooth.
- Stir in coconut.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with cream of tartar until stiff high peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
- With whisk or rubber spatula, using an under-and-over motion, gently fold egg yolk mixture and flaked coconut into egg whites just to blend.
- Pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 50 – 60 minutes, or until cake springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Invert cake (over long neck bottle); let cool completely—about 1-1/2 hours.
- Carefully loosen cake from pan and remove.
- Serve plain or sprinkle lightly with confectioner’s sugar.