Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
Another winner from Southern Living.
Make and share this Coconut Chicken Tenders With Maui Wowee Dipping Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup lime-flavored seltzer water
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- salt (optional)
Maui Wowee Dipping Sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper jelly
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- Cut each chicken breast into 4 to 6 (1-inch) strips.
- Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients in a bowl. Combine coconut and breadcrumbs in a large shallow dish. Dip chicken pieces in flour mixture, and dredge in coconut mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a deep skillet or Dutch oven; heat to 350°.
- Fry chicken, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt, if desired. Serve with Wowee Maui Dipping Sauce.
- Maui Wowee Dipping Sauce: Mix all ingredients together. Serve with Coconut Chicken Tenders.
Great recipe, however I find that using sweetened flaked coconuts results in a chicken that is a little too sweet for my tastes. Also, I have made this recipe using plain seltzer water and also beer in place of the seltzer and the beer version was definitely the best!
This was SOOOOOOOOOOO good. I have looked for a long time for something like this - thanks. Made as written. Moist and very flavorful.