Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Created for Ready Set Cook 2006. A delicious take on a popular Caribbean-influenced appetizer! The Mango Chutney should be made 4-6 hours in advance. Cook times do not include the refrigeration time for the chutney.
Creamy Mango Chutney
- 2 large mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 1 seeded chopped green chili peppers (a mild one like poblano or anaheim) or 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (if you like it HOT)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons sour cream (any fat content)
Coconut Chicken Strips
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken strips
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- For Creamy Mango Chutney:.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate 4-6 hours. Sweeten with additional sugar or honey to taste, if desired.
- For Coconut Chicken Strips:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix coconut, flour and salt in a bowl.
- Beat egg in a separate bowl.
- Dip chicken strips in egg, then coat in coconut mixture.
- Place on a very lightly greased shallow baking pan.
- Drizzle evenly with the melted butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning once, until browned and cooked through.
- Serve with creamy mango chutney.
I liked the option of baking offered in here in a field of fried coconut chicken contest recipes. However I found the strips not as crispy as I would have preferred. The mango chutney was interesting and added to the recipe. I liked the flavor, but I was left with over half of the sauce. I would definitely reduce the amounts next time. Good luck in the contest!!
I made this wonderful dish last night for dinner. The chicken was lovely, crisp, tender and flavourful. The sauce, was refreshing, tangy, slightly sweet, with a hint of mango and peppers. We enjoyed your dish very much, thanks for sharing.