Recipe by Savvy Hostess
From a popular restaurant on Lake Minnetonka, here in the Twin Cities
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
10 stars! This is by far the best salad of this nature we've ever had. Not something I would tackle again on a weeknight, but in the end it was worth every minute. The French bread crumbs & sweetened coconut were a great combination. They cooked up nice and crispy while the chicken (I used thighs) stayed moist and tender. Veggie prep was a lot of steps and I would suggest that most of it be done ahead of time, including the dressing, but I'll definitely be making this again in the summer. It's an excellent hot weather salad that is just bursting with fresh flavors! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Savvy Hostess! Made & enjoyed for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :) http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (Not from a can! Whirl 4 slices of somewhat stale white or French bread in food processor)
- 2 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded out to 1/4 inch thick between
- plastic wrap
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup flour, seasoned with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 10 ounces mixed greens
- 0.5 (14 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced (cut in half lengthwise around pit, twist to separate halves, remove pit with tip of spoon and scoop)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 2⁄3 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For Chicken:.
- In a shallow baking dish or pie plate combine coconut and bread crumbs. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk and coconut extract.
- Dip chicken strips into beaten eggs, then dip in seasoned flour.
- Dip again in eggs. Press into coconut-bread crumb mixture, using palm of hand. Coat well!
- Heat 1/2 inch of oil in frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add coconut-battered chicken to oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from pan and let stand for 3 minutes. Cut in slices.
- For Salad:.
- Arrange mixed greens, artichokes, tomato, hard-boiled egg slices, avocado slices, shredded cheese and black olives on large platter.
- Place coconut chicken over greens. Serve with honey mustard dressing.
- For Dressing:.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients with a whisk. Can make ahead and store in fridge. Serve with salad.