Recipe by preachergirl
A delightful curry dish, with a surprisingly sweet taste. Adapted from "Extending the Table" cookbook.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Very nice curry, creamy with a rich flavour, and easy to prepare. I subbed shrimps for the chicken, adding them towards the end to poach in the sauce. I did use the cayenne pepper, but did not use the raisins. To add a little body, I added about 200 gr trimmed green beans. We enjoyed this very much, thank you! Made for Unrated Asian Recipes tag Game.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 inch grated gingerroot)
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole cardamom pods or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy pan, sauté butter, onions and garlic until soft and lightly brown.
- Add spices, and fry 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken, and brown on all sides.
- Mix yogurt turmeric, and coconut milk together and add to chicken. Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer 35-45 minutes until chicken is tender. Remove cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods. Serve hot with rice.
- Optional: substitute 2 1/2 tsp curry powder for coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper.