Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium onions
- 4 small tomatoes
- 1 -2 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 small lemon, juice of
- black pepper
- Melt ghee over medium heat.
- Add cinnamon, bay leaf, onions, ginger and garlic pastes, and cook slowly till onions are tender and translucent.
- Add one chopped tomato, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Add in coconut milk and chicken stock, and let cook on simmer till the sauce thickens.
- Now add the rest of the tomatoes, chicken, lemon juice, and toss in a handful of cilantro.
- Allow to cook approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with basmati rice or paratha.
I have been using this recipe for quite a while now and love it. I do make some modifications: 1. I add a tomato paste to thicken it up--we like thick curry sauce. 2. I toast coconut, put it in the blender and add it at the end--about an eight to a fourth of a cup. It intesifies the coconut flavor and add to the thickness of the sauce. 3. I put in much more curry powder or paste--we like it strong. 4. Sometimes I add potatoes to bulk up the recipe but use a hearty one or it will go mushy (gold are great, or par-boil russets and add them near the end). 5. I double the recipe because it goes fast.
this was a really tasty recipe! I didn't have ghee, so I just used butter, and I couldnt get the sauce to thicken very much, so it was sort of like a coconut curry soup, but that may have been my own fault. The taste was excellent! I'll definitely make this again.