Recipe by BarbryT
My wonderful former neighbors in Gainesville, FL (Rafael and Madeleine De Paz) gave me this recipe after giving me, for Christmas, one of these. Ignore the "caramels." The last two ingredients make the caramello for the cake pan. (RecipeZaar doesn't let me list instructions for the ingredients.)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large egg yolks
- 12 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put water, an inch or so, into a large lasagna or other pan that will accommodate the bundt or angel food cake pan. Put into the oven.
- In a bowl, combine the milks (evaporated and condensed and cream of coconut), the vanilla and the coconut flakes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks with a fork or whisk. Add to the milk mixture. Add the softened cream cheese and mix (may use an electric mixer).
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-high heat. Let "melt" until it turns light brown (do not let burn!). Pour the caramel into an angel food or bundt pan.
- Let the caramel harden.
- Pour the milk mixture into the cake pan. Put the cake pan into the oven in a preheated lasagna pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour and an half. When it is done, let it cool for a full hour.
- Turn upside down onto a large platter and chill for at least 2-3 hours.
- Garnish with oranges with leaves and orange slices and mint.