1/1 Photo of Coconut Caramel Bars
1 hr 25 mins
If you love the taste of Samoa cookies, you will enjoy these gooey and chewy bars loaded with coconut, caramel and chocolate! If you have any question as to lifting these bars from the pan, line the bottom with parchment. This recipe was the grand prize winner for King Arthur Flour and the Baker's Catalogue.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 1 cup caramel, divided (about 30 individual caramel candies)
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon cream
- 1Toast the coconut: Spread coconut in a 9x13" pan, bake in preheated 300 degree F oven 20-25 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring half way through baking time.
- 2Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- 3In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, vanilla, and egg, until well blended.
- 4Mix in flour, salt, baking powder and 1 1/2 cups toasted coconut (reserving 1/2 cup for topping).
- 5Spread mixture in un-greased 9x13" pan, lining with parchment if you desire.
- 6Bake for 15 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile melt 1/2 (1/2 cup) of the caramel in microwave.
- 8Drizzle melted caramel over baked crust and return to oven for 10-12 minutes or until medium brown and caramel is bubbly.
- 9Removed crust from oven, working quickly, use a heat proof plastic knife (plastic reduces the drag on sticky baked goods), or a bench knife, to loosen the edges of the crust from the pan; cut into 2 dozen bars, leaving them in the pan. (It is easier to cut these bars while still warm).
- 10Sprinkle bars with the chocolate chips.
- 11Allow chocolate chips to soften about 5 minutes, then spread chocolate evenly over bars.
- 12Set aside to cool completely.
- 13Loosen the bars from the edge of pan again, using a flexible spatula to lift the bars out of the pan.
- 14Set on a rack.
- 15Combine remaining caramel with 1 tablespoon milk or cream and heat until caramel is melted enough to pour.
- 16Stir to combine with milk or cream, drizzle over the bars.
- 17Garnish with reserved toasted coconut.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Caramel Bars
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.5
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.0 mg
- Sodium 118.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: