Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A traditional favourite for festivals!
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons condensed milk
- 340 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 390 g freshly grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter
- food coloring
- Place sugar, salt, and both milks in a wok on low heat and dissolve sugar.
- Add in grated coconut and cook for 2 hours, stirring often.
- Add in vanilla and butter.
- Divide into 4 parts and color each part to your liking.
- Grease four small square pans very very well. Place each portion of coconut into its own tray and press down firmly with the aid of some plastic wrap. Make sure it is compressed.
- Leave to set for a while and then turn out and cut into squares before it has fully hardened.