Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious EASY cake mix base recipe I got from the Pillsbury website. I did make some changes in mine with the ingredients I had at home. This is the original recipe below. My changes made it more of a Mounds candy bar cake. Instead of white chocolate I used semi sweet chocolate chips and I also added coconut extract to the frosting. In the future I will also add coconut extract to the cake mix as will.
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F for shiny metal or glass pan (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with baking spray with flour. Reserve 1/3 cup coconut milk for frosting.
- 2 In large bowl, beat cake mix, remaining coconut milk (1 1/3 cups), the water and egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in 1/2 cup of the coconut until well combined. Pour into pan.
- 3 Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4 Meanwhile, in 2-quart bowl, microwave vanilla baking chips uncovered on High 30 seconds or until melted. Stir; if chips are not completely melted, microwave 15 seconds longer, then stir until all chips are melted. Stir in powdered sugar, butter, reserved 1/3 cup coconut milk and the vanilla. Cover; refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes. (If frosting becomes too firm to spread, microwave uncovered on High 10 to 15 seconds to soften; stir until smooth.).
- 5 Spread frosting over cake. Immediately sprinkle top with 1/4 cup coconut. Store loosely covered at room temperature.