Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Coconut and white chocolate - yum! From Betty Crocker mini-recipe mag. Posted for safekeeping. Prep/cooking times are an estimate.
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) 'super moist' white cake mix
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray bottom of 13x9 pan with baking spray (with flour).
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, 1 1/3 cup of the coconut milk (set the remaining 1/3 cup aside for the frosting), water and egg whites on low speed 30 seconds; increase to medium speed and beat another 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup of the shredded coconut until well combined; pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake about 30 minutes, remove from oven and let cool completely, about an hour.
- Meanwhile, microwave white chips uncovered on high 30 seconds or until melted. Stir; if chips are not completely melted, microwave 15 seconds longer, then stir until all chips are melted. Stir in powdered sugar, butter, reserved coconut milk and the vanilla. Cover and refrigerate 30-60 minutes. If frosting becomes too firm to spread, microwave uncovered on high 10 to 15 seconds to soften; stir until smooth.
- Spread frosting over cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
The cake was light, and great extra flavor. I had some extra coconut milk to use up, and this was a great way to do it. Made into 2- 9" round pans and made a double layer cake to enhance appearance.
I have the recipe magazine and made this cake yesterday. It was fantastic! I am not a big lover of white boxed cake mixes but the coconut milk did something amazing to the cake mix and out popped the easiest and yet tastiest coconut cake. The frosting was also good but I might try a whipped cream topping at some point as well-if you like coconut cake try this!