Recipe by Dee514
(Reply to a request) This is an old recipe from my M-I-L which was frequently used for birthday cakes. The coconut is in the batter, not on the frosting.
Top Review by Sueie
Instead of making two round cakes, I made two small bar cakes one following the recipe as is and the other half with 1 tablespoon of cocoa and two teaspoons of chocolate essence. Both were delicious and quickly eaten. Will be keeping this recipe for a quick, easy and very tasty cake.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add milk, butter, vanilla and coconut flavoring.
- Beat with mixer on low speed until combined.
- Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and beat 2 minutes more.
- Gently stir coconut into batter.
- Pour batter into two prepared pans.
- Bake at 375°F for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool wire on racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- When completely cooled, frost with your favorite frosting.