Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from my great aunt Edna. She made this for our family reunion. This is a very good coconut cake everyone raved over this cake at the reunion.
- 16 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla, and egg yolks one at a time.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with the buttermilk.
- Beat well after each addition and end with dry ingredients.
- Add the coconut and beat on low speed.
- In separate bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy; add cream of tartar.
- Beat until stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool inverted on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Put cream cheese and butter in large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Beat in powdered sugar.
- Gently fold 1 cup coconut into cream cheese mixture.
- Frost cake and top with remaining 1/2 cup coconut.
I made this recipe into moist coconut cupcakes and topped with the creamy coconut frosting. I will make these cupcakes again. Everyone liked them. I highly recommend this recipe!
Made this cake for no reason cause I wanted a coconut cake. The result was a very moist, delicious cake...I could not stop eating!! To me this is a perfect coconut cake!!!