I got this recipe from my great aunt Edna. She made this for our family reunion. This is a very good coconut cake everyone raved over this cake at the reunion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2Cream together butter and sugar.
- 3Add vanilla, and egg yolks one at a time.
- 4In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 5Add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with the buttermilk.
- 6Beat well after each addition and end with dry ingredients.
- 7Add the coconut and beat on low speed.
- 8In separate bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy; add cream of tartar.
- 9Beat until stiff peaks.
- 10Fold egg whites into batter.
- 11Pour into 2 greased and floured cake pans.
- 12Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
- 13Cool inverted on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- 15Put cream cheese and butter in large bowl and beat until smooth.
- 16Beat in powdered sugar.
- 17Gently fold 1 cup coconut into cream cheese mixture.
- 18Frost cake and top with remaining 1/2 cup coconut.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1442.4
- Calories from Fat 625
- Total Fat 69.4 g
- Saturated Fat 46.1 g
- Cholesterol 285.9 mg
- Sodium 873.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 196.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 160.0 g
- Protein 14.2 g