Recipe by Lisa Connelly
This recipe actually came from the magazine, House Beautiful, but don't hold this against it. This makes a great alternative from your traditional chicken curry and always goes down well.
Top Review by mplsgirl
I have actually been using this recipe for several years and am just now reviewing it. This is my husband's favorite meal, and I make it every year for him on his birthday. I follow the recipe exactly and LOVE the way it turns out. This is a fantastic dish!!!
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3⁄4 pint vegetable stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 lime, juice of
- 8 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a large, heavy based saucepan, heat the sunflower oil and add the onion.
- Over a gentle heat, cook this for 7-8 mins, until the onion is golden and tender.
- Add garlic and squash.
- Cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the coconut milk, curry paste and stock and bring it all to the boil.
- Add the lemon grass, reduce the heat and cover the pan.
- Allow to simmer for 25-30 mins or until the squash is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coriander, lime juice and spinach.
- Serve immediately, ideally with rice.