Recipe by Rita~
You can use pumpkin puree in place of the butternut squash. For more heat you can add a couple Thai chili's to the soup. Vegan can skip the chicken.
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 large onion
- 1 apple
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey or 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 13 1⁄2 ounces coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry, optional but yummy
- 3 -4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- fresh lime, sliced
- fresh cilantro or fresh basil
- butternut seeds
- candied ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the whole butternut, apple, onion, and garlic in the oven and bake for 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, simmer in a crock pot place hot water, chicken, curry powder, turmeric, salt, black pepper, ginger, red curry paste, and coconut milk.
- When the baked goods are tender. Remove and let cool enough to handle.
- Remove stem, seeds and fiber, cut butternut in rough cut pieces and place meat and with skin in food processor. Remove skin from onion and garlic rough cut onion and place in processor. Remove core from apple, rough cut and place in processor. Pulse and couple times then run till smooth.
- Add to crock pot and cook for 6 hours or till ya get home from work!
- Remove chicken and when cool enough to handle remove meat, shred and place back in soup. Discard bones and skin.
- Stir in sherry. Place rice into bowls. Pour soup over rice and garnish with lime, and or cilantro, basil, butternut seeds, candied ginger, chili`s.